We invite you to share the rewarding experience of being a Friend!
We are a voluntary non-profit community organisation whose Mission Statement is:
To support the establishment and continued development of a unique
world-class Regional Botanic Garden on the Sunshine Coast.
The support of anyone interested in conserving and showcasing our unique local natural environment is welcomed and valued.
Support may take the form of membership and/or donation.
Just livingis not enough... one must havesunshine, freedom,anda little flower.Hans Christian Andersen
Membership of the Friends offers:
- The quarterly newsletter
- Invitations to social events and celebrations.
- Participation in open management committee meetings held on the second Thursday of the month, at 1.00pm. (Members join in discussions but do not vote).
- Notice of Annual General Meetings.
- Additional insurance cover while attending any Friends’ activity, at the Gardens or elsewhere.
- Free tickets or discounts on tickets to public events organised by the Friends.
- Opportunity to enjoy the camaraderie and sense of achievement arising from further growth and development of the gardens, and seeing the pleasure visitors get in the Gardens.
After applying to and being accepted into Sunshine Coast Council’s Volunteering Program, Friends’ members can begin volunteer work on-site. Working groups carry out a wide variety of activities in the Gardens and adjacent environmental reserves. Volunteers choose activities/ groups that suit them and the time they have to contribute. See “About us” for more details.
Other activities in which the Friends participate
- Fauna Watch, organised by Wildlife Qld, meets monthly in the Gardens (8 am, 2nd Wednesday) to identify, count, and record birds, butterflies, koalas and other fauna.
- Educational & research opportunities with both the University of the Sunshine Coast and schools.
What the Friends expect from members
- The safety and welfare of all members are of paramount importance. Before undertaking any activities in the Gardens, each volunteer must complete a safety induction conducted by the Council.
- Council provides high-visibility shirts, hats, gloves, insect repellent and sunscreen lotion, and expects that volunteers wear appropriate footwear and clothing.
Want to become a member of the Friends?
We look forward to meeting you in the near future.